Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Our Trip to the Aquarium

Kevin and I have been so busy lately and we have had opposite schedules for the last two weeks so when we both finally had a day off together we decided to do something fun. Since we moved I have wanted to go to the Oklahoma Aquarium and the Hubby figured why not Monday. It drizzled for most of the day so it was something that we could go do and still be inside. 

Before we went we had lunch at Pei Wei... it was DELICIOUS! After that we stopped at a few stores and then headed out to the aquarium. I was actually really impressed with it overall and they had a few places that they were doing construction on that will probably be really cool when they are finished. 


These were the first beavers I have ever seen and they are actually pretty cute! They weren't as big as I was expecting and I'm not going to lie, I was a little disappointed with their front teeth. haha I mean that is supposed to be their most recognizable attribute other than their flat tail right? I couldn't even see them! lol 

Next to the beavers there were two cute little otters. They never slowed down long enough for me to take a good picture but they were adorable. We waited a good 15 minutes watching them hoping that one of them would go down the rock slide in their habitat but they never did. It is crazy to see how graceful they are in the water and how fast. 

After we looked at several other exhibits we decided it was time to venture over to the shark area. Now the Hubby and I are pro's with the sharks. We even swam with some on our Honeymoon so we were excited to see how this exhibit was set up considering the last time we had seen sharks there was nothing but water between us and them. The first thing we saw was this interactive computer activity where you could "feed the sharks". I made Kevin try it out. haha

They even took your picture so that your head was on the cartoon body while you "prepared" the food. I'm sure kids eat this up! lol 

After playing on the interactive computer we went into the shark habitat. It is basically a big pool with a glass tunnel going through the middle so the sharks can swim not only by your side but above your head. 


All of these pictures make me think of a shark horror film. haha Especially that last one with the light shinning on top of the shark. I'm not going to lie...that guy looks pretty scary to me. 

The next guy is a nurse shark... this is the type of shark we swam with on our honey moon. They kind of look like human size cat fish. 

This is a picture of the same type of shark on our honeymoon with one of the guides. 

Yes, I was also inside that net with the shark and no he was not the only shark in there. I would take a guess that there were about 10 in the netted area although I can't be 100% sure because I was too busy having a panic attack! haha

Here is me in the shark diving cage.
I'm pretty sure I could be pulled right out of that thing if a shark got a hold of any part of my body. I do not plan on EVER going to look at any Great White's or Tiger Sharks in that thing!

After the sharks we saw one of my favorite sea animals... the Sea Horse! I love these little guys!
Almost all of them were pregnant so they had huge stomachs.

Here is a picture of the little baby one we saw. This little guy was about the size of a bobby pen.

I think the coolest looking are the glowing jelly fish. These things can ruin a great trip to the beach but they are fun to look at through the glass!



It was so great to spend the entire day with the Hubby and to go somewhere fun! I plan on going back when the habitats they were working on are finished. 

I know this was a crazy long post but I had fun writing it and hope you enjoy reading it!

1 comment: